For this week / last week, here are / were the biggest news.
- PR - May 30, 2014 - EMC To Acquire DSSD, Inc., Extends Flash Storage Leadership
- Ovum - London - May 30, 2014 - Global Optical Networking (ON) Equipment Market Soft in 1Q14
- PR - SG - May 30, 2014 - Real-Time Social Media Analytics Gets A Boost With Thoughtbuzz -Datasift Integration
- PR- KL - May 29, 2014 - Brocade: Research Indicates that Businesses Need Agile Networks to Meet Evolving User Demands
- PR - KL - May 28, 2014- Microsoft At Digital Education Show Asia 2014
- News (Copyright friendly) - May 27, 2014 - China performs crack-down on Wechat
- PR - May 20, 2014 - Citrix Synergy 2014, Los Angeles
- PR - May 26, 2014 - Brocade Collaborates with VMware to Provide Intelligent and Powerful SAN Analytics for Cloud Environments
- PR - May 24, 2014 - SAS Partners with Asia Pacific’s Largest IT Solutions Provider Silverlake Group
- PR - May 22, 2014 - Volkswagen Presents The "Onefootball Brasil" App For Football Fans
- PR - May 20, 2014 - Microsoft introduces Surface Pro 3: the tablet that can replace your laptop
PR - May 30, 2014 - EMC To Acquire DSSD, Inc., Extends Flash Storage Leadership
At the recently concluded EMC World, EMC announced that it is acquiring DSSD Inc to extend its flash storage leadership.
EMC Corporation had announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately-held DSSD, Inc. Menlo Park-based DSSD is the developer of an innovative new rack-scale flash storage architecture for I/O-intensive in-memory databases and Big Data workloads like SAP HANA and Hadoop. Products based on the new DSSD rack-scale flash storage architecture are expected to be available in 2015.
Ovum - London - May 30, 2014 - Global Optical Networking (ON) Equipment Market Soft in 1Q14
The global optical networking (ON) equipment market is off to a slow start in 2014 according to the latest market share alert* from Ovum, the global market analyst firm. Revenues of $3.1bn were down 14% from 4Q13 and 2% from 1Q13. Spending increases in North America were not enough to offset double-digit quarterly declines in every other region. Annualized global ON spending of $14.6bn in 1Q14 is running slightly below Ovum’s most recent forecast, but improved conditions in 2014 should enable 4.6% growth for this year. Market spending continues to fluctuate regionally out of phase by quarter, resulting in sluggish growth on a global level. Vendors with stronger exposure to North America did well in 1Q14.
- The global ON market remained weak in 1Q14. Quarterly global spending in 1Q14 was down 2% from 1Q13 to $3.1bn. Annualized 1Q14 ON spending totalled $14.6bn. Quarterly revenues in 1Q14 were the lowest in 7.5 years.
- 1Q14 spending increases in North America did not offset declines in EMEA, SCA, and Asia-Pacific. ON revenues in North America rebounded off a traditionally weak 4Q13, but ON sales in EMEA fell to $682m, their lowest point since 1Q04 (the depth of the post-bubble crash). Sales in Asia-Pacific also declined, to their lowest point since 3Q08. SCA spending declined from 4Q13 but grew on 1Q13.
- Cisco and Infinera were the only vendors to report both quarter-over-quarter and year-over-year revenue gains. Ciena, Alcatel-Lucent, ZTE, and FiberHome were down sequentially but grew revenues versus 1Q13. Coriant, Ericsson, Fujitsu, and Huawei failed to reach their year-ago revenue levels.
- Application segments continue upward trend. Spending versus 1Q13 for CPO, ROADM, 100G, and OTN switching increased by double digits again in 1Q14. Annualized CPO sales for 1Q14 are nearly $7.8bn, more than half of all ON spending.
- Data center interconnect and 100G are increasing demand for optical. Ovum’s newest forecast, published in May 2014, predicted 4.6% growth in 2014. Ovum expects the ON market to exceed $19bn by 2019, growing 5.1% cumulatively from 2013. Despite a slow start, we see market growth picking up again, starting 2Q14.
Ron Kline, Principal Analyst, Intelligent Networks at Ovum, said: “The growth in network bandwidth is astounding and the transport market is evolving to keep pace. The CPO segment is growing nearly as fast, and network bandwidth and 100G is quickly becoming the wavelength of choice. While the overall market remains flat, the trend for CPO is anything but. The data center is the new central office, and interconnecting them is a major driver of ON gear. Backhaul requirements for growing LTE and GPON deployments in the access network are also increasing demand for optical; 2014 is shaping up to be a very exciting year as metro-optimized 100G and adaptable-rate flex-spectrum 200G/400G linecards enter the market.”
PR - SG - May 30, 2014 - Real-Time Social Media Analytics Gets A Boost With Thoughtbuzz-Datasift Integration
Today, ThoughtBuzz, the analytics arm of TO THE NEW, announced integration with DataSift, the leading social data platform that helps to aggregate, process and deliver social data for businesses. This integration will bolster ThoughtBuzz's Omnio G, as users can now expect more advanced and relevant analytical capabilities, particularly for Twitter.
In addition, Omnio G will now be armed with 100% Twitter firehose capability.
As social media has become pervasive in life and business, companies are increasingly looking for ways to connect and engage with consumers through social platforms first. As such, real-time social media analytics has become a powerful resource enabling businesses to access and analyze social data for business intelligence decisions across functions such as customer service, crisis management, online reputation management, and industry-wide research.
PR- KL - May 29, 2014 - Research Indicates that Businesses Need Agile Networks to Meet Evolving User Demands
Brocade conducted a survey with senior IT decision-makers internationally (North America and UK) which shows that enterprises are being restricted by legacy network resources and feel their infrastructures are not agile enough to deliver robust and scalable services to stakeholders or support next-generation applications. More than half of senior IT decision-makers are either actively evaluating Software-Defined Networking (SDN) technologies or plan to do so in the next 12 months, to deliver improved uptime and availability, better access to real-time information and increased productivity.
49 percent of servers are currently virtualized with this rising to an average of 64 percent in two years, 75 percent of respondents would welcome the use of an “on-demand” data center model for highly virtualized and cloud computing environments. and 65 percent are actively using or evaluating Ethernet fabric architectures to manage their current cost, complexity and reliability challenges while building the robust physical infrastructure needed for SDN.
PR - KL - May 28, 2014- Microsoft At Digital Education Show Asia 2014
Microsoft has been transforming education and creating real impact in Malaysia for more than 20 years, and that commitment continues with Microsoft bringing together its vision, innovative solutions, and beneficiaries – students, teachers and education institutions – at the second annual Digital Education Show Asia (DESA) 2014 which was held from 27 to 28 May 2014 at Kuala Lumpur Convention Center.
Through interactive on-floor seminars, workshops and an extensive display of innovative technology in action at its exhibition booth, Microsoft provided an insight into how its technology solutions are advancing the education sector into the 21st century.
|Deputy Minister of Education and Higher Learning II, P. Kamalanathan in conversation with SK TTDI 1 teacher on implementing Microsoft technology in the classroom.|
A key highlight for Microsoft at the event was a technology demo to the Deputy Minister of Education and Higher Learning II, P. Kamalanathan, by students of Sekolah Kebangsaan Taman Tun Dr. Ismail 1 (SK TTDI 1), on using Microsoft Office 365 on Surface tablets to create, collaborate and communicate in the classroom.
Attendees at DESA 2014 also had the opportunity to sit in a workshop session with Microsoft Global Forum Educator Award winner and Expert Educator Ammani Jeya Pirathaba, a teacher from Kempas, Johor Baharu, to learn about her experiences in being part of the Microsoft Educator Network.
News (Copyright friendly) - May 27, 2014 - China Performs Crack-down on Wechat
I read a news from my.news.yahoo.com that China will begin a month-long exercise to crackdown WeChat.
Apparently, the heads-up was from China's state media.
According to the report, the crackdown will focus on 'bad' accounts.
PR - May 20, 2014 - Citrix Synergy 2014, Los Angeles
Citrix Synergy,The annual flagship industry conference by Citrix, held from 6 – 8 May at the Anaheim Convention Center, unveiled new mobility technologies and strategies that will provide support for people to work better from anywhere with mobile workspace solutions. The latest solutions also promise IT teams comprehensive control and management capabilities across the entire enterprise’s IT infrastructure.
|Citrix CEO Mark Templeton at the Synergy 2014 Keynote|
Citrix Synergy focused on the four key aspects of solutions that businesses need in order to equip their people with mobile workspaces to enhance productivity and achieve strategic differentiation in today’s dynamic and mobile world: Virtualization, Mobility, Networking,Cloud.
PR - May 26, 2014 - Brocade Collaborates with VMware to Provide Intelligent and Powerful SAN Analytics for Cloud Environments
Brocade has announced collaboration with VMware to provide analytics for Fibre Channel Storage Area Networks (SANs) supporting cloud environments using VMware vCenter™ Log Insight™ 2.0. VMware vCenter Log Insight can deliver real-time insights and monitoring of data from applications, virtualized infrastructure and physical hardware to help improve operational efficiency through automation and simplify IT troubleshooting.
The new Brocade® SAN Content Pack uses Brocade Fabric Vision technology to enhance the innovative machine-learning functionality and improved query and data collection capabilities to provide systems administrators with a complete view of SAN health and behaviour across physical, virtual and hybrid cloud environments.
PR - May 24, 2014 - SAS Partners with Asia Pacific’s Largest IT Solutions Provider Silverlake Group
SAS, the leader in business analytics software and services, has announced the partnership with Silverlake Group to introduce a range of SAS advanced analytics solutions to banks in Malaysia. The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that was signed will see Silverlake group incorporate SAS’s market-leading Big Data Analytics capabilities into Silverlake Group’s offerings.
|SAS 01 - (L-R) Mr Goh Peng Ooi, Chairman of Silverlake Group Sdn Bhd and Mr Andrew Tan, Managing Director of SAS Malaysia|
Silverlake Group has also adopted SAS® Visual Analytics, a big data visualization tool. “This tool enables banks to have a real-time view of its business on web and mobile devices,” explained Goh. Banks accounted for 17 per cent of more than 1,400 SAS® Visual Analytics licenses sold globally in 2013 – more than any other industry.
PR - May 22, 2014 - Volkswagen Presents The "Onefootball Brasil" App For Football Fans
Volkswagen Group Malaysia's “Onefootball Brasil” app kick-off in anticipation of the biggest single-event sporting competition in the world – the 2014 FIFA World Cup™. Serving as a one-stop platform that provides immediate updates of your favourite teams and results via a live newsfeed, the app also allows you to get involved in each match by casting predictions on match results and even vote for your preferred ‘Man of the Match’ in each game.
Available for free on the App Store, Google Play and Windows Phone Store, we would like to invite you to get into the mood of the 2014 FIFA™ World Cup today by downloading the app onto your very own smartphone.
In conjunction with Volkswagen’s involvement with the most popular sport in the world, Volkswagen Group Malaysia will also be holding a contest giving away a brand new Polo Sedan as the main prize. Running from 22 May to 13 July, Volkswagen fans and discerning motorists alike only need to head to any Volkswagen dealer showroom nationwide and test-drive any of the vehicles in Volkswagen’s extensive range to stand a chance of getting the Polo Sedan.
PR - May 20, 2014 - Microsoft introduces Surface Pro 3: the tablet that can replace your laptop
Today, at an event in New York City, Microsoft announced the Surface family is growing with a new Surface model, Surface Pro 3, the tablet that can replace your laptop. Surface Pro 3 is powerful, portable and designed to maximize productivity in a sleek, premium tablet package.
- People need one great device for work and play, for entertainment and for getting things done, and Surface Pro 3 is designed for people who want that premium laptop experience. Surface Pro 3 has a large, 12” ClearType Full HD color-calibrated display, a continuously adjustable kickstand, improvements to processing power, upgraded cameras and it is still only 1.76 lbs.
- Surface Pro 3 comes with the all-new Surface Pen, cased in aluminum and with 256 levels of pressure sensitivity for a smooth and precise writing and drawing experience, it looks and feels like a real fountain pen.
- A great laptop replacement needs a great keyboard experience, and Surface Pro 3 delivers with a new, larger Type Cover with an improved trackpad experience that, paired with the Surface Pen, gives Surface Pro 3 unmatched versatility as a tablet or a laptop.