The National ICT Association of Malaysia (PIKOM)’s 2014 ICT Job Market Outlook Report launched today, revealed a slew of interesting insights on the local ICT industry.
- On average ICT professionals saw salaries grow by 7.9%; from RM7,142 in 2013 to RM7,706 in 2014.
- The industry where ICT professionals were paid the most was Science and Technology / Aerospace / Biotechnology, followed by the oil and gas sector.
- The survey also revealed a salary disparity of 6.22 times (4.95 times in 2010) between senior managers and fresh graduates.
- On average in 2014, C-Level ICT professionals took home a salary between RM 30,000 to RM 45,000 per month.
- Of the total new jobs expected to be created in the next five years, based on trends from the United States, it is expected that 45% of jobs will focus on software development and computer programming.
- In the technical domain, ICT professionals equipped with Java, C#, C++, .Net, SharePoint and Web Application Developers remain highly sought after. Under business applications, the fast growing jobs are notably IT Security Analyst and Big Data Analytics, two areas highly required for fending off cyber threats and data breaches.
“Despite slower economic growth anticipated in 2015, the industry is expected to register double digit growth of 14.2% while providing a healthy increase in salaries for ICT professionals and positive prospects for future job-seekers in many niched areas. ICT continues to be a major job market for the country. For 2014, the industry grew by a robust 12.5%,” said PIKOM Chairman, Cheah Kok Hoong.