Acronis®, a global leader in new generation data protection, today released the findings of a consumer survey conducted during the COMEX 2015 technology show in Singapore. The survey was aimed at quantifying the data backup practices among general users of digital devices, including computers, laptops, smartphones and tablets.
The survey found that despite frequent data loss incidents, more than a half of the respondents do not backup any person data, including pictures, video, files, documents, and contact information. The survey also found that those who do back are not taking advantage of the ease of use and advanced capabilities of cloud backup solutions instead using external hard drives and USB flash drives, which can be prone to malfunction, theft and physical damage.
Key Survey Findings:
- More than 52% of the respondents reported that they experienced data loss between one and three times, and nearly 6% experienced it four or more times in their lifetime.
- A large proportion of the respondents (55%) currently do not use any data backup solutions.
- Only 24% of the respondents had ever performed data backup in the past.
- Most of the respondents (64%) store their photos and videos on external storage devices; 25% store photos and videos in the cloud, and 11% only have the copy on their computers, mobile phones or tablets with no backup copy at all.
- Software user-friendliness was ranked as the most important aspect of backup (56%), above the feature set (26%) and price (18%).
The survey suggests that a perceived difficulty of software use remains a stumbling block in backup adoption, and that additional effort must be made in educating consumers about the advantages of cloud backup and the risks associated with keeping data on local storage devices.
“Our survey data shows that the majority of consumers do not realize the importance of backing up their data and digital memories. Most wait until a catastrophe occurs – when it’s too late!” said Serguei Beloussov, CEO of Acronis. “With our latest Acronis True Image Cloud solution, we are making it easier and more affordable than ever before for consumers and home office to take action to safeguard their data and precious information.”
Acronis received responses from 353 people who visited Acronis stand at the COMEX show during the four-day period in September 2015. Most of the respondents identified themselves as men (96%), under 25 years of age (56%), residents of Singapore (93%).