For this week / last week, here are / were the biggest news.
- Symantec Security Response - Jul 22, 2016 - Spam bots drive Tinder's Users to sign up on adult webcam and erotic video websites
- PR - Jul 21, 2016 - Intralinks Appoints Allan Robertson to Drive Asia Pacific Growth
- PR - Jul 21, 2016 - MDEC, Iverson and Cloudera upskilling lecturers to nurture next generation of data professionals
- PR - Jul 20, 2016 - ASUS x DirectD Grand Opening Concept Store in Subang Jaya
- PR - Jul 19, 2016 - BIOSTAR Equips Gamers for VR Gaming Experience with GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics Card
- PR - Jul 15, 2016 - IMS Health Chooses Cloudera Enterprise to Support Big Data Factory for Life Sciences and Healthcare
- PR - Jul 14, 2016 - Sunway Lagoon Ghostbuster Adventure
- PR - Jul 14, 2016 - HTC Malaysia Announces Two New Innovative Smartphones to Malaysians
- PR - Jul 14, 2016 - Shenzhen, China - Huntkey Announces Sponsorship of CEST
- Schroders : Jul 11, 2016 - Multi-Asset Insights: Have central banks lost their potency in determining exchange rates?
Symantec Security Response - Jul 22, 2016 - Spam bots drive Tinder's Users to sign up on adult webcam and erotic video websites
According to new research from Symantec, the makers of Norton consumer security solutions, criminals masquerading as Tinder users concerned for their safety are tricking other users into visiting a malicious third-party website to verify their profiles. The website, which looks strikingly like Tinder, is really a scam that racks up charges on the victim’s credit card.
Here are some Tips to stay safe while online dating:
- Avoid third-party websites: If someone from an online dating website asks you to visit a third-party website to sign up for a service, like a verified profile, it’s most likely a scam. It’s always a good idea to scrutinize links, especially from unknown or untrusted sources.
- Share with care: If you can, make sure your username doesn’t give away any identifying information, like your age or location, and always be careful about what you share in messages.
- Use a VPN: When using Wi-Fi, one of the best ways to protect the data coming in and out of your phone – like messages on a dating app – is to use a Virtual Privacy Network (VPN) like Norton WiFi Privacy.
PR - Jul 21, 2016 - Intralinks Appoints Allan Robertson to Drive Asia Pacific Growth
Intralinks, a leading, global SaaS provider of content management and collaboration solutions, today announced the appointment of Allan Robertson to senior vice president, sales, Asia Pacific region. Based in Singapore, Robertson will now be responsible for driving sales growth in markets including Singapore, China, Hong Kong, India, Australia, South Korea and Japan.
|Allan Robertson, SVP, Sales, APAC, Intralinks|
Formerly Intralinks’ chief of staff and an experienced sales leader, Robertson began his career at Intralinks in 2010 as a vice president in EMEA; responsible for growing Intralinks’ strategic transactions business.
PR - Jul 21, 2016 - MDEC, Iverson and Cloudera upskilling lecturers to nurture next generation of data professionals
Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC), Iverson Associate and Cloudera today announced their commitment to provide paid training to lecturers who are focusing on Apache Hadoop curriculums at tertiary institutions, under the Cloudera Academic Partnership (CAP) programme.
The collaboration is a joint commitment by the organisations to nurture the next generation of data professionals. The training will be available to the first 10 universities in Malaysia that sign up for the CAP programme with Cloudera. The training will be available to two lecturers per university.
With the paid training, institutions will be able to provide quality delivery of the industry-standard Hadoop curriculum to its students. Currently, over 100 tertiary institutions globally are members of this programme including Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR), Multimedia University (MMU) and Sunway University in Malaysia, as well as National University of Singapore (NUS) and Temasek Polytechnic (TP) in Singapore.
To date, Cloudera has trained more than 40,000 participants and certified more than 10,000 Hadoop professionals. Over 65% of the Fortune 100 and all 20 of the top 20 global technology firms have leveraged Cloudera's expertise to train employees on Apache Hadoop. http://university.cloudera.com/
PR - Jul 20, 2016 - ASUS x DirectD Grand Opening Concept Store in Subang Jaya
In reaching out to consumers’ needs for wide-range gadgetry of PC notebook, mobile and accessories, ASUS has partnered with DIRECTD to open its first exclusive retail outlet.
The ASUS Concept Store will be officially open coming Friday @ 22nd July 2016 – located in SS15, Subang Jaya.
In conjunction to this, DirectD will be having an exclusive 50% opening deals for its customers as follow:-
- ZenFone Max - from RM 799 to RM 399 - first 5 customers!
- ZenFone Go 4.5 (5MP cam) - from RM 299 to RM 149 - first 5 customers!
- PadFone S Plus - from RM 1,199 to RM 599 - first 5 customers!
- ZenPower (9600 mAh) - from RM 79 to RM 39 - first 50 customers!
Besides, there will be a Facebook contest held for participants to win prizes such as ZenFone Selfie, ZenFone Laser, and ZenFone Go 4.5.
During the opening, the first 10 DirectD member to wear blue color shirt get to redeem ASUS ZenPower.
Here are the concept store’s grand opening location:-
DIRECTD RETAIL & WHOLESALE SDN BHD
NO.79, SS15/4B, SUBANG JAYA, 47500 SELANGOR
Opening ceremony starts at 11:00am
For more info and promotions, kindly visit DirectD official website and Facebook page.
PR - Jul 19, 2016 - BIOSTAR Equips Gamers for VR Gaming Experience with GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics Card
BIOSTAR is proud to announce its latest graphics card, the BIOSTAR GeForce GTX 1080. Designed for the latest generation of games and gaming experiences, the GeForce GTX 1080 takes gaming to the next level with performance and efficiency that beats everything before it featuring the all-new Pascal GPU architecture fabricatedon the 16nm FinFET process technology.
The BIOSTAR GeForce GTX 1080 will have an MSRP of USD799.
The BIOSTAR GeForce GTX 1080 features the GP104 GPU sporting 2560 CUDA cores and runs with a base core clock of 1607Mhz. Featuring GPU Boost 3.0, the BIOSTAR GeForce GTX 1080 can run up to 1733Mhz and features 8GB of GDDR5X video memory connected a 256-bit bus interface.
|Biostar GeForce GTX 1080|
PR - Jul 15, 2016 - IMS Health Chooses Cloudera Enterprise to Support Big Data Factory for Life Sciences and Healthcare
IMS Health today announced that it has selected Cloudera Enterprise to support its Big Data Factory, a cloud-based platform that transforms data into intelligence for life sciences and healthcare clients as they navigate dynamic markets, drive operational excellence and demonstrate the value of medicines. The collaboration with Cloudera – a leader in enterprise analytics data management powered by Apache Hadoop and the latest open source technologies – will accelerate and enhance data acquisition, processing and warehousing in the factory.
The combined solution will support:
- Next-generation data processing. Cloudera’s latest open source technology platforms support machine learning – which uses cognitive systems to automate quality control, data bridging and modeling, and other repetitive tasks—to drive evidence-based decisions for clients. Using the Hadoop cluster technology, IMS Health can extract, store and analyze vast quantities of unstructured data for generating new, more comprehensive insights for customers.
- Accelerated time to insight. The IMS Health Big Data Factory will harness Hadoop’s parallel processing technology to streamline data acquisition and management, delivering powerful insights with higher efficiency.
- Scalable data management. The Hadoop distributed file system (HDFS) eliminates data transfer bottlenecks, storage capacity delays and time spent adding new servers to augment traditional data clusters – enabling IMS Health to improve the speed and scalability of Big Data management.
PR - Jul 14, 2016 - Sunway Lagoon Ghostbuster Adventure
Ghosts and Ghouls took over Sunway Lagoon and only one ghost-busting foursome could put the sinister creatures to rest. Sunway Lagoon’s Lynton V. Harris Scream Park unveiled the first Ghostbusters attraction of its kind in the world, The Ghostbusters Adventure Live!
Ghostbusters inclusion into the park marks the biggest annual investment to date since the launch of Scream Park some seven years ago. Among the highlights of this latest attraction is the interaction between visitors and a cast of live actors who play seasoned ‘Ghostbusters’ and ‘ghosts’.
The attraction occupies the entire top level of Scream Park and takes visitors through a 20-minute harrowing journey through locations based on the relaunch of the movie.
The journey kicks-off at the Slimer’s pad, filled with cool Ghostbusters memorabilia, followed by Aldridge Mansion – New York’s oldest private home and museum, where a tour guide will introduce the spooky story of Gertrude Aldridge.
PR - Jul 14, 2016 - HTC Malaysia Announces Two New Innovative Smartphones to Malaysians
HTC Malaysia has today announced two of the company’s latest innovative smartphones that will be coming into the hands of consumers very soon – The HTC 10 and the HTC One X9.
|HTC One X9 - Topaz Gold|
With the culmination in years of innovation and combining the best world class features consumers have come to expect, the highly anticipated HTC 10 has been designed from the ground up as a smartphone worthy of the flagship title. The phone is available this week at the price of RM 2,799.00 and comes in two colours: Carbon Grey and Topaz Gold.
Driven by the belief that design should be inspired by ones surroundings, personal and cultural influences, the newest member of the award-winning HTC One family - the HTC One X9 - pulls through the look and feel of high end silk, creating a softer, warmer and more luxurious finish to the phone. The HTC One X9 comes in two colors – Gold and Grey for the price of RM 1499.00 , making it the perfect accessory.
PR - Jul 14, 2016 - Shenzhen, China - Huntkey Announces Sponsorship of CEST
Huntkey, a leading global power solution provider, is proud to announce its sponsorship of the China Electronic Sport Tournament or CEST. The national gaming competition is sponsored by NVIDIA and the Internet Access Service Association of China, and is registered by the Ministry of Culture of China. This event highlights Huntkey’s interest in promoting gaming and eSports as a serious competition and also marks the company’s position as a brand capable of delivering the stability and performance that high-level gaming tournaments demand.
The Huntkey MVPLAND power supply is intended for the most demanding application particularly gaming. Huntkey will also showcase more from its product line including power strips and other solutions during the event.
|Huntkey K650 Power Supply|
The MVPLAND power supply features unique styling for gamers and is rated for the best efficiency and performance. The power supply also features protection against issues common to power supplies that guarantee safe and dependable performance even in heavy gaming usage.
Schroders : Jul 11, 2016 - Multi-Asset Insights: Have central banks lost their potency in determining exchange rates?
Monetary policy has been a factor in driving exchange rates since the end of the Bretton Woods system (which dissolved between 1968-73). That was when central banks began to flex their powers and experiment with money supply, interest rate targeting or currency intervention to influence the development of macroeconomic variables such as domestic economic growth and inflation.
However, recent reactions - such as a stronger yen after the Bank of Japan’s negative interest rate policy - have called into question the link between monetary policy and exchange rates. We also suggest that going forward, monetary policy will be less influential in driving currency returns because of increased perceptions of policy ineffectiveness in driving future economic growth and inflation.
Check out full articles.