It tells the significance of dark data, which is essentially data trapped beneath stone unturned - data stored somewhere but not able to be discovered and hence wasted - forever, period.
To deal with dark data, Mark BentKower has these to advise:
- Control the growth of data.
- Capture data at the point of entry to in order to ID it (data) better.
- Deliver Self Service Access - allow users to judge the value of data before the boss thinks otherwise.
- Automate the Data Lifecycle - auto removal of unwanted or junk data
- Assure Compliance and Discovery - the best way to minimize the cost of these queries is to be proactive with comprehensive archive, search and eDiscovery capabilities.