Enterprise & SME Should Leverage Cloud Native Solutions in this Rapidly Transforming Technology Landscape
Date : 19-Jul-2019
- Modern enterprises are constantly adapting their business strategies and processes to respond to evolving market conditions. This is especially true for enterprises serving fast-growing economies in Asia Pacific. For these businesses, cloud computing is an invaluable means to accelerate change. From quickly deploying new applications to rapidly scaling infrastructure, enterprises are using cloud computing to create new value, build better solutions, and expand business.
- According to Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC), the increase in the use of big data analytics, cloud computing and data recovery is expected to double more than RM2 billion by 2020 - this applies to both enterprise and SME companies.
- Leverage on Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) for best practices - the Cloud Native Computing Foundation builds sustainable ecosystems and fosters a community around a constellation of high-quality projects that orchestrate containers as part of a microservices architecture.
- CNCF uses experts from throughout the industry to evaluate the maturity, quality, and security of cloud-native open source projects and give guidance on which are ready for enterprise use. Selected cloud-native technologies cover the entire scope of containers, microservices, continuous integration, server-less functions, analytics, and much more. Once these cloud-native open source projects have been declared ‘graduated’ by CNCF, those projects can confidently be incorporated into an enterprise’s cloud native strategy with the knowledge that they are high quality, mainstream technologies that will get industry-wide support.
- Cloud native is a term used to describe container-based environments - developers can leverage on Cloud-native technologies to build applications which invokes services packaged in containers, deployed as microservices and managed on elastic infrastructure through agile DevOps processes and continuous delivery workflows - reference.
- Robert Shimp, Group Vice President, Product Management Infrastructure Technologies Oracle Corporation
- A well-designed software stack built to the CNCF guidelines and offered by a single vendor has many benefits. First, it reduces the risk of technology adoption. Second, it provides a single point of contact for rapid support resolution, which means faster time to market and higher customer satisfaction. Third, it helps make cloud native applications portable to any popular cloud. This flexibility can help enterprises improve their operating margin by reducing expenses and unlocking future revenue growth opportunities.
|Robert Shimp, Oracle|
- Cloud native is about the software layer otherwise known as software stack.
- The key aspect is similar to open source concept whereby developers build software and deploy them into containers before sharing them to the world - the containers become microservices of other software ecosystems.
- Why need the container ?Firstly, you don't need to port the software from one environment to another, i.e from Windows to Linux; secondly, it makes the software become open standard microservice.
- Cloud native is an effort to both ensure that software stacks integrate well with each other and to provide reusable components to software ecosystems in the world to integrate and to leverage.
- Think of it as a reality where a software developer builds a software and then deploys it in a container and then gets certified by CNCF and is used by other developers - the CNCF serves as the moderator.